Just because you use a small boat for trolling doesn’t mean that you can always get by with a puny 30-pound thrust. After all, your boat will be carrying a lot of weight, especially when you have more than one person aboard, have lots of gear, or manage to catch lots of large fish. That’s why for many, the right choice is the Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor. Newport Vessels may not be a famous brand yet, but this particular model does offer a very compelling case why it should be.
- It is best for vessels that are no bigger than 8.8 to 10.5 feet.
- The 22-pound motor offers 55 pounds of thrust.
- The adjustable shaft measures 30 inches long.
- The trolling motor is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater use. It can resist saltwater damage because it is made with aluminum, zinc, and stainless steel components.
- The all-aluminum motor head is completely encapsulated, and it is designed to handle constant use. It is specifically made to last.
- You get 8 speeds available with the trolling motor, with 5 speeds going forward and 3 speeds for reverse. At the highest setting, it can go 9 miles per hour with a 200 pound load in quiet water.
- The shaft is made from fiberglass composite.
- You will need to get a 12V deep cycle or marine battery and charger, and you need at least a 50-amo hour rating for the battery. The length of the running time of your battery will depend greatly on the amp hour rating. On 50-AH batteries, you may get almost an hour of runtime. There’s a 5-level LED battery meter so you won’t be surprised if the battery dies on you.
- You’ll also need a 50 amp manual reset circuit breaker.