Not too long ago, electronic fish finders were very expensive. Today, they’re much ore economical, and the Humminbird PiranhaMax 143 is even more affordable than many of its competitors. And yet it offers features that may make you think it is worth far more.
Specs and Best Features
A good fish finder offers several benefits, and the Humminbird PiranhaMax 143 has lots of it.
- It measures 11.3 x 16 x 6.3 inches and weighs 11 pounds.
- The display measures 4 inches, offers 4 levels of grayscale, and has a screen resolution of 160 x 128. It has a backlight too.
- It’s waterproof.
- It can search waters up to 600 feet deep, with its 100W RMS, 800W peak-to- peak transmit power and sonar frequency of 200 kHz.
- The sonar standard is a single beam with standard sonar coverage of 20° @ – 10db. The target separation is 2.5 inches.
- It displays the water temperature and depth. It comes with a fish alert too.
- It also displays the bottom structure, so you can figure out where the fish are.
Pros and Cons
The price is often considered as a very compelling factor, and the price tag of the Humminbird PiranhaMax 143 is great news for those with limited budget. With the right seller, you can get it for less than $80. Yet in spite of its low price, this device is a wonder. Of course, it is water-proof. The display is also more than sufficient for the task. You should have no trouble reading the data on the display. The bottom structure display is excellent as well.
It is also very easy to use, as its functions are quite simple. The large buttons are very convenient but what makes it great is its capability to operate for up to 600 feet in depth. It means that for fishing in shallow waters and using a small boat (or even a kayak) will get you reliable results.
Many have also noticed that it works flawlessly, so you won’t get frustrated with any operational problems. And it is quite durable. But let’s not forget that this is a very basic unit, which is why it is very affordable. It only offers the essential features. In fact, some people don’t even use the actual fish finder functions, as the info regarding the depth and the temperature of the water is enough for them to go on.
Should You Buy It?
Unless you’re itching to spend a lot of money for a fish finder, the Humminbird PiranhaMax 143 is a worthwhile option particularly for beginners. Keep in mind that this device earned an incredible 4.8-star average rating on Amazon, with 74% of reviewers giving it 5 stars. The lowest rating it got was 4 stars! Imagine that.
The price of the Humminbird PiranhaMax 143 is one good reason to buy it. But in spite of its cheap price, it offers just about everything you need to find fish and where you need to go when you’re fishing.